The Trade Board Information System (TBIS) is part of the Jamaican Government's initiative to create an e-government, e-commerce society. This initiative involves making services offered by various government agencies available online. One such project under this initiative is the Jamaica Trade Point (JTP). The Jamaica Trade Point has a sole purpose of facilitating Trade. This project involves making the services offered by representatives from the five key trade sectors available online and interlinking these services; thus eliminating some of the current barriers to trade. These sectors are trade facilitation, business information, banking and insurance, transportation and information communication technology. The agencies represented under this project are Trade Board Limited, JAMPRO, Jamaica Customs, The Shipping association of Jamaica , The Port Authority of Jamaica and Kingston Wharves.
TBIS enables customers to access Trade Board's services online. The import module of this system has already been successfully implemented and allows clients to reap numerous benefits such as:
- Reduction in amount of visits made to Trade Board's office
- Faster processing time
- Reduced waiting time
- 24/7 access to our services
- Ability to electronically check on the status of application
- Online e-payment facility
The export module of TBIS will allow clients to submit and pay for export licenses and certificates of origins online. The module is currently in its testing phase and full implementation is expected in early 2008. This system will not only allow exporters to reap the benefits currently being reaped by importers as a result of TBIS but will see exporters experiencing additional benefits.
It is with this module that the purpose of JTP is fully realised. The export module interfaces with all agency online systems represented by JTP thus making the export process easier by:
- Reducing the number of agencies to visit
- Reducing the duplication of similar data required at the various agencies throughout the export process
- Significantly reducing the processing time of the entire export process
With the implementation of the export module the new process will involve:
- Registering as an exporter via Jampro's JExporter online system
- Completing the relevant commercial invoice via Jamaica Custom's Export system
- The relevant information submitted from the Commercial invoice is then automatically transferred to the export entry form
- If the item/s to be exported require an export license or a certificate of origin you will have the option to be redirected to the TBIS
- You will then notice that the majority of the information required for the completion of the certificate of origin or export license would have been already completed as this would have been automatically generated from the Custom Export System.
- The exporter then pays for the license/certificate of origin
All of which you will be able to do from the comfort of your own living room.
As expected with the implementation of any new process, exporters may initially experience minor hiccups. It is however important to note that these possible delays are temporary. We therefore ask you to bear with us during these teething pains. We also encourage you to give us your feedback, on the system and how you feel we can improve it and our processes to better serve you.
To send Feedback Click Here
Client Relations Manager