The motor vehicle import policy provides for importation of new and used motor vehicles. The used motor vehicle must not be more than three (3) years for motor cars and four (4) years for light commercial vehicles at the time of importation.
Motor vehicles may be imported under the following categories: -
- Returning Residents
- Contract Officers
- Holders of Work Permit
- Any individual as above whether resident in Jamaica or overseas may apply to the Trade Board Limited to import two (2) motor vehicles every three (3) years. This may include a motorcar and a light commercial unit or two (2) light commercial units.
- Where applicable non-Jamaican must provide proof of landed immigration status i.e. Work Permit or any other documentary proof.
- Individuals who are the beneficiary of a duty concession and applying for an import licence must submit to the Trade Board documentary proof of such concession.
- Approved Motor Vehicle Dealers
- Other Companies incorporated in Jamaica
- Approved Motor Vehicle Dealers are certified by the
Ministry of Industry, Investment and Commerce (MIIC)
and are subject to an annual inspection. They may import new or used motor vehicles for the retail trade.
- A New Dealer is one who represents a specific make(s) of vehicle(s) and is contracted to an overseas manufacturer.
- A Used Car Dealer may import any make or model of used motor vehicles from the retail trade
- A motor vehicle dealer is not permitted to import vehicles that have been salvaged or in a damaged condition.
AS PROVIDED FOR UNDER SECTION 210 OF THE CUSTOMS ACT, ANYONE WHO IMPORTS ANY LICENSABLE ITEMS WITHOUT FIRST OBTAINING A VALID IMPORT PERMIT WILL BE LIABLE TO A FINE EQUIVALENT TO THREE (3) TIMES THE VALUE OF THE ITEM PLUS SEIZURE OF THE ITEM.
See also: POLICY (cont'd)